Monday, February 23, 2015

Menu and Miles Monday

It's been a long time since I shared my weekly menu.  However, we are still eating!  Kroger recently finished its rearranging of the store (still don't know why they did it), and I finalized my new shopping list while I was there on Saturday.  I had to completely redo my list.  I list items in the order that I see them as I go up and down the aisles.  I brought a new store directory home, color coded it, and created my new list.  I tweaked it while I was there, and now it's good to go.  I shrunk the font size so that I was able to put my monthly Walmart and Sam's list all on the same page as my Kroger list. I keep a list hanging inside our pantry door for people to highlight items as we run out of them.

We are adding a little bit of wild caught fish and organic chicken and turkey to our menu.  I am serving these foods 2-4 times a week. I am always trying to eliminate more and more processed foods in our diet. It's hard!  Cooking from scratch takes so much time.

Menu:

  • spaghetti, salad, bread
  • great northern beans (cooked in crock pot), cornbread
  • large green salad, baked sweet and/or white potatoes (potatoes in crock pot)
  • honey garlic chicken, brown rice, green beans (I am doubling this recipe and taking some to a friend of mine who has cancer.  Our church family is providing meals for her and her husband 3 times a week.  What a blessing).
  • hummus chicken, roasted vegetables, salad
I got the recipe for the hummus chicken from Leanna.  Here is my modified version:

Hummus Chicken with Roasted Vegetables
10-12 organic chicken strips (you can cut up breasts or buy the strips)
1 cup hummus (store bought, or make your own)
3 zucchini, sliced thickly
3 squash, slicked thickly
2 onions, cut into chunks
2-3 sweet potatoes, cut into small chunks
2 lemons 
salt, pepper, paprika

Spray two shallow baking pans with non-stick cooking spray.  Arrange the cut vegetables on the pans.  Season with salt and pepper. Spray the vegetables with non-stick spray, or drizzle a little olive oil on top. Layer the chicken on top. Carefully spread the hummus on top of each piece of chicken.  Squeeze the lemons over the chicken and vegetables.  Season with salt, pepper, and paprika.
Bake at 450 degrees for 25-30 minutes--until chicken and vegetables are tender.

I am serving this chicken dish for supper the night Olivia comes home from college for spring break (this Friday!).

Miles:
I am not current training for any race, so I am just trying to maintain my fitness.  It is SO COLD here, and I have not been able to run outside in about 2 weeks.  Last week I did my 10 mile run on my treadmill!  That is as much of a mental challenge as it is a physical one!  Leanna and I have a 10 mile run planned for Friday morning, but the temperature is predicted to be low 20s or upper teens at 6:00AM that morning.  I am not sure I am that brave!  It may be another treadmill week.
I ran 3.25 miles this morning.  I am trying to get a total of 20-25 miles each week.  I guess my next race is the Coke 10k on May 2.  I plan to run this race with Sam.
I am still sticking to my plan of no marathons for 2015!

Have a happy Monday!

"Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it;"
Psalm 127:1

Visit OrgJunkie for more menus.


1 comment:

  1. I was hoping you would share the recipe for Hummus Chicken! That sounds so good. I found you from the Org Junkie Menu Plan Monday. I am now following your social medias!

    ReplyDelete