Wednesday, September 24, 2014

An Easy Crock Pot Recipe

This time of year I have to use my crock pot to prepare supper on both Tuesdays and Thursdays because we have cross country practice until 5:00 or 5:30, and then we have to drive home after that. I found this recipe over the weekend on My Plant Based Family Blog, (click here for the original recipe). Below is my version of the recipe---I increased the ingredients a little bit, and the end result was perfect for my family.

Easy Crock Pot Mexican Casserole
  • 1 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
  • 4 1/2 cups water
  • 1 12 oz. + 1 6 oz. can of tomato sauce (I am not sure of the ounces of those cans.it was one big and one small can)
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt 
  • 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 3/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 3/4 tsp cumin
  • 1 quart pinto beans (I used the beans that I canned this summer. You could use two store-bought cans of pinto or black beans, but drain and rinse them well before adding.)
  • 1 bag frozen corn
Just dump all ingredients in the crock pot, stir to combine, and cook for 4 hours on high or 6-8 on low. I served this with tortilla chips, and if I had taken the time to make it, a salad would have been nice to have as well.

Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. This makes me so happy!! I know what's for dinner tomorrow night!!

    ReplyDelete