Monday, July 21, 2014

No Complaining and a Recipe


I saw this picture on Facebook a couple of weeks ago, and I saved the image.  I did not visit the website, so I really have no idea about that, but the concept of not complaining for 24 hours intrigued me.  Challenged me.  I started paying attention to myself, to see how much I actually complained.  I consider myself a positive person, but when I listened to myself, I was surprised at how much I actually grumbled and complained.

It was the little things that I complained about.  Things such as, "I did not sleep well at all last night."
"Why is there torn crayon paper all over the kitchen table?"  "I will NEVER get all my school planning done before August 1st."  "I will be canning beans and tomatoes FOREVER!"

This verse kept popping into my head:

"Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world…"
Philippians 2:14

It's actually pretty simple.  Do all things without complaining and disputing.  But much easier said than done.  In my mind, the opposite of complaining is gratefulness.  It 's hard to complain about a situation when you are looking for something to be thankful about.  So, I decided to repeat one of my favorite verses when I was faced with something to complain about.

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

I have thought about this challenge of not complaining for a whole day several times over the last couple of weeks.  But until today, I have not purposed to actually do it.  So today, I will try.  I plan to be well aware of what I say.  When I perceive that a complaint is going to leave my mouth, I will purpose to pause, and then rephrase what I wanted to say.  State it with a positive slant.  Don't say it at all, if there is no benefit to the hearer, but just something to gripe about and/or vent about for me. 

I suspect this will be more difficult than I think, but I am willing to try. 

Last week I found this recipe online, but I have no idea where.  I copied it down in my notebook when I stumbled upon it, because I did not want to try to remember the website.  I made a few changes, and this is the final product.  We thought it was delicious, and I plan to serve it again this week.

Curried Cauliflower and Rice

2 cups cooked rice
2 cups shredded carrots (I do this in my food processor.)
1 head cauliflower, cut into small pieces
2 cups fresh spinach, torn into small pieces
1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained

For the dressing:
1 lemon, squeezed
2 Tablespoons curry powder
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon water
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
more salt to taste

Roast cauliflower and garbanzo beans (salt them a little) at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.  Just check it and take it out when it is slightly brown and done.  I actually put my oven on convection, and it takes about 15 minutes. 
Combine this with the rice, carrots, and spinach in a large bowl.  Mix the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake to blend.  Pour over the rice/cauliflower mixture and stir to combine.
Let stand a few minutes for flavors to blend.

This dish has a slight Indian flavor without being too strong or spicy.  I served this with a green salad and some fresh fruit.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This recipe looks great! I am going to try it! We love a little spice.

    When I was in law school I gave up complaining for Lent one year. I realized I complained CONSTANTLY. But I still found myself saying "I am exhausted" or "I have a LOT of reading to do." My husband would say "you're complaining!" and I'd respond, "I'm *not* complaining...I'm just stating a fact!!!!"

    I do try not to complain now and also not to state 'negative facts.' ;)

    ReplyDelete