Friday, July 18, 2014

A Little Road Trip and Some Good Books

I left at 7:00 this morning to take Olivia and Julie to Nashville to meet Olivia's college roommate and her mama for lunch.  Then Olivia and Julie went home with them (to Kentucky) to spend a long weekend.  They are attending a Jane Austen Ball on Saturday night.  I am not sure what all that involves, except for wearing beautiful costumes, but I am sure that I will learn all about it when they get home!

We listened to three-fourths of The Cricket on the Hearth by Charles Dickens during the four hour trip up there.  Then, when I was driving back alone, I listened to The Giver by Lois Lowry.  That book definitely gives you something to think about!  The theme of sameness is somewhat disturbing.  I'll finish The Giver when I drive back to pick the girls up, and then we will finish The Cricket on the Hearth on the way back home!  I download these and other audio books from Audible.com.  I have already downloaded some books for our trip to take Olivia back to college next month.  I try to have at least one book from both Leah's and Sam's Sonlight list for long trips.

I finished reading Follow My Leader last night to Leah and Sam, and tonight we will pick up Carry On Mr. Bowditch.  We are about halfway through with this book, and it is one of my favorite read alouds.  When we finish it, I plan to read aloud The Phantom Tollbooth to all five children before Olivia goes back to college.  I have read it aloud only one time, and that was a few years ago.  We really liked it, but I am anticipating stopping a lot to explain the play on words to Sam.

I am almost through with The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.  I am really, really enjoying this book.  I may even start a little happiness project of my own.

What books are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment