Thursday, August 11, 2011

Our Homeschool Home Economics Class

Really, my girls are instructed in "Home Ec" every day.  They know more about housekeeping and cleaning than most of the girls I attended college with!  But, I still wanted an organized course for them.  I wanted to make sure that I covered everything I thought they would need to know when they have a home of their own.  I also knew that if I didn't schedule those goals as well as some creative fun type activities too as part of their school day, it probably wouldn't happen.  Plus, they will be earning a high school credit as well.

Olivia actually completed a Home Ec course when she was in the ninth grade.  She used Alpha Omega LifePacs, which is a set of workbooks with some creative assignments mixed in as well.   She read and completed all of the 10 workbooks, but I did not have her do many of the projects, because they really weren't all that practical in my opinion.

I knew that I wanted her to take Home Ec again, and this time I wanted Julie to complete the course too.  So, I just created my own course.

I planned 150 lessons.  Most of the lessons will take about an hour to complete, but on some days the only assignment is to read from selected books, so those days won't take as long.  I began my plans by listing goals I had for my girls in the following areas:

  • Kitchen
  • General Sewing
  • Housecleaning
  • General Household Care
  • Specific Sewing Projects
  • Quilting
Next, I selected the books that I would use as my textbooks for my course.
  • Large Family Logistics 
  • Stitch by Stitch
  • First Time Quiltmaking
  • Sue Gregg Cookbooks
  • A cute recipe binder/scrapbook
As I made my daily assignments, I alternated reading days (from Large Family Logistics), kitchen days, sewing days, shopping days, household project days, etc.  

Some of my goals for this course are:
  • Complete a recipe binder of tried and true recipes.
  • Prepare supper alone several times throughout the year.
  • Learn to make a weekly menu plan and shopping list.
  • Actually buy a week's worth of groceries alone.
  • Learn the basics of creating a household budget.
  • Sew skirts and t shirt dresses for the girls.
  • Create a weekly and monthly cleaning schedule.
Those are just a few of my goals, I think I listed around twenty.  Large Family Logistics has suggestions of activities at the end of some of some of the chapters, so they will be completing those. The girls will be creating a binder including various homemaking handouts and charts as we go along.  I also plan to include photos of their various sewing projects, and they will also have their completed pretty recipe binder.

We are already enjoying our Home Ec course, and I hope we that create fond memories as well as learn practical skills the year progresses.

9 comments:

  1. Seriously, I think I need to take this course. I know my girls are way ahead of where I was at their age. They're ahead of where I was when I got married! I just received our first Sue Gregg cookbook. It's the lunch and snack one, so hopefully the girls will have fun with that and save me some time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you publish your "textbook", I want one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH thank you thank you thank you! I was not homeschooled myself and had NOT a clue under the sun how to run a house when I got married (my poor, sweet, patient husband!). Since we have three girls I know that I need to prepare them - this post is a HUGE help! Thank you SO SO much. Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish that I had learned these things when I was young! There were basic things my mother didn't teach me about cooking and cleaning that I had to learn on my own as a single woman and a new bride. I never learned to sew and even today I still struggle with some of my own household management and organizing tasks. Your girls will be so, so thankful when they are homemakers one day that you took this time to teach them. Enjoy these lessons with Olivia and Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, can you help me do this with my girls. We go to public school, but I realize the value of it. I want to teach the skills that I've had to learn on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful idea! Sadly, I did not learn many of these skills growing up. I taught my older two girls to clean and do laundry, but because I am not great at cooking or sewing I did not teach them these skills. My oldest has learned to cook on her own and is a really good cook. My middle daughter does not have the cooking skills she will need. I want to do better with Hope. I would love to know more about the course you wrote. You really should publish it. I know I would buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marriage party such a joyful party. Bridal Gowns Albany What a nice dress for Bride for party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!
    Do you have a copy of your plan to share? I most definitely would pay for the lesson plans. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the book suggestions - thank you!

    ReplyDelete